If you want the next best thing to a vine-ripened tomato, and it's winter, try canned tomatoes, as suggested in this recipe.
- 1 roaster boneless breast
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 can (8-1/4-ounces) cubed pineapple (plus 2 tablespoons
- pineapple juice from can)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
Cut roaster breast into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper; coat with flour and set aside. In saucepan, over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and cook onions, garlic and green pepper for 5 minutes stirring often. Add tomatoes, pineapple and juice, ketchup and vinegar. Stir and simmer over low heat. Meanwhile, in a large skillet,
over medium-high heat, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter.
Saute chicken, half at a time, until golden and cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes per batch. Drain and place on serving dish. To sauce in pan, add dissolved cornstarch; cook, stirring, over high heat until sauce
thickens. Pour over chicken pieces.
Print this recipe