- 2 cups Dried lentils -- washed
- 6 cups Water
- 3/4 cup Anaheim green peppers -- seeded & chopped
- 2 cups Red onions -- chopped
- 1/4 cup Ghee
- 1 tablespoon Grated fresh ginger
- 2 each Garlic cloves -- crushed
- 1 tablespoon Berbere sauce
- Pepper -- to taste
Boil the lentils in water for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid.
In a 4 qt pot, saute the peppers & onions in the ghee until the onions are tender. Add the lentils, 4 c of the reserved liquid & the remaining ingredients & bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, over low heat 35-40 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Print this recipe
Source: Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors, Jeff Smith
Submitted By: Black Shelly