- 1 rabbit, 2 1/2-3 lb, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 1 small carrot, sliced thin
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced thin
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled fine
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c dry red wine
- 2/3 c orange juice
- 1/2 tsp grated orange rind
- 3 Tbsp dark rum
- 2 Tbsp flour
- sliced small oranges for garnish
1. Discard loose fat from rabbit. Rinse & pat dry.
2. In a large bowl combine carrot, garlic, bay leaves, allspice, pepper, 1 Tbsp oil, wine, orange juice, orange rind, and rum.
3. Add the rabbit. Chill, covered, turning occasionally, for 24 hours.
4. Remove rabbit from the bowl, reserving the marinade, & pat dry.
5. In a large skillet heat the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil & brown the rabbit. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp flour, turn it, and brown the flour. Repeat with the remaining 1 Tbsp flour.
6. Transfer the rabbit to a large casserole. Salt to taste.
7. Deglaze the skillet with the reserved marinade. Pour over the rabbit.
8. Cook, covered at 350deg F for 1-1 1/2 hours, basting twice, till very tender.
9. Transfer to a heated platter, pour sauce over it, and garnish with sliced orange.
Print this recipe
Source: Gourmet Magazine
Submitted By: Smith Rick
Rabbit with Red Wine, Orange & Allspice