- Vegetable oil spray
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 pounds freshly ground turkey, skin removed before grinding
- 1cup grated onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Egg substitute equivalent to 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon finely minced and seeded fresh jalapeno pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
Preheat oven to 350o F. Lightly spray a 91/2-x-51/2-x-3 inch loaf pan with vegetable oil or use a nonstick pan.
Place bread in a blender or the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process into fine crumbs.
In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and milk. Let bread soad 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except ketchup. Mix lightly. Set aside.
Drain bread and squeeze out excess milk to form a paste. Add to meat mixture and blend well.
Pack lightly into the prepared loaf pan. Spread ketchup over top of loaf.
Bake uncovered 11/4 hours. Let sit out 5 minutes before serving.
Print this recipe
Source: American Heart Association Cookbook
Submitted By: Joyce Skeens