- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1 teaspoon prepared minced garlic
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno chile, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
heat the oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about minutes.
process the beans, lime juice, Chile, cumin, salt, pepper, and the onion mixture in a food processor until smooth. Stir in the cilantro. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
tip Vegetable leaves, such as lettuce and spinach, and large-leafed herbs, such as basil, can be cut into shreds, sometimes called a chijfonade. Stack the leaves on a cutting board and roll the pile cigar-style, then slice across the roll to make fine strips.
Print this recipe