- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4"" thick slices. If fresh and thin-skinned, do not peel.
- Salt and Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 10-ounce package fresh spinach, cleaned and trimmed of stems.
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup homemade or store-bought pesto sauce
- 1 unbaked pastry crust for 10"" pie
- Black or Golden caviar for serving with the baked pie (optional
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter a 2 3/4 qt. deep baking dish (such as a souffle' dish) that is 8 to 9 inches in diameter.
Season the eggplant with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes until they are softened, but not browned. Set aside.
Place the washed spinach in a pot. Cover and cook over high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted. Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the spinach.
Arrange half the eggplant in the bottom of the prepared dish. Top with layers of half the onions, spinach, tomatoes, and pesto sauce. Repeat the layers with the remaining ;ingredients, ending with the pesto sauce.
Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until it is large enough to over the top of the casserole. Place it on top, form a decorative riased edge.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Print this recipe
Source: Cooking with Regis and Kathie Lee
Submitted By: Elaine Olson
Mediterranean Eggplant Pie