This pie is among the selections at Baptist and Methodist churches in Mississippi in the late summer when fresh sweet potatoes are dug.
- 2 1/2 cups mashed cooked deep orange sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces butter or margarine, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out pastry and fit into a 9-inch pie pan. 2. Mix sweet potatoes, sugar, spices, salt, and butter in a medium-sized bowl. Beat in eggs and milk. Pour filling into pastry-lined pan. 3. Bake on a rack set in bottom third of oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, until a pick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out clean. Cool slightly on rack. Cut into wedges and top with whipped cream, if desired. Makes 6 to 8 wedges.
Do-ahead strategy: Sweet potato pies can be baked the day before serving. Refrigerate to store overnight; bring to room temperature before serving.
Divide-multiply: Two or more recipes of filling can be prepared in a large heavy-duty mixer bowl. Divide into pastry-lined pans by weight.
Print this recipe
Source: Community Suppers: Jeanne Voltz
Submitted By: Linda Wilson
Sweet Potato Pie