To give the tofu a golden hue akin to scrambled eggs, add a pinch of ground turmeric (or curry powder, if you like the taste). Delicious straight from the mug, this egg-free scramble is also great tucked inside a tortilla or pita.
- 12- to 16-oz mug:
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped bell pepper and onion blend
- 3/4 cup crumbled drained extra-firm or firm tofu
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
1. In the mug, microwave peppers and onions on High for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Using the tines of a fork, press down firmly on the vegetables and drain off excess liquid.
2. Stir in tofu, soy sauce and oil. Microwave on High for 45 to 75 seconds or until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Southwest Scramble: Add 1/4 cup canned or fresh diced tomatoes and 1/8 tsp ground cumin or chili powder with the tofu. When seasoning, sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
Mushroom Herb Scramble: Add 3 tbsp drained canned mushroom pieces, 1 tbsp chopped chives or green onions and a pinch of dried thyme with the tofu.
Add 1/4 tsp of your favorite dried herbs (such as basil or oregano) or herb blend (such as Italian seasoning) with the tofu.
Store the remaining drained tofu in small airtight containers or freezer bags in 3/4-cup amounts.
If a frozen pepper and onion blend isn't available, use 1/2 cup mixed chopped fresh bell peppers and onions and, in step 1, cook for about 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
Place the frozen peppers and onions in the mug; cover a small airtight container; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Print this recipe
Source: 250 Best Meals in a Mug: Delicious Homemade Microwave Meals in Minutes by Camilla Saulsbury
Submitted By: b smith