Grits aren't just for rich breakfasts from the American South; they are a quick, easy and delicious dish (akin to polenta) that makes a satisfying snack or meal at any time of day. Tip: Look for ready-to-eat real bacon bits where salad dressings and croutons are shelved in the grocery store, or near the regular bacon in the packaged meat or deli department.
- 12- to 16-oz (375 to 500 mL) mug
- 3 tbsp quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tbsp ready-to-eat real bacon bits
- Salt and ground black pepper
1. In the mug, combine grits, milk and water. Microwave on High for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes (checking at 1) or until thickened and creamy.
2. Stir in cheese and bacon. Let stand for 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cheesy Grits and Greens: Omit the bacon. In a separate mug, microwave 1 cup (250 mL) frozen chopped spinach on High for 1 to 2 minutes or until thawed and warm. Using the tines of a fork, press down firmly on the spinach and drain off excess liquid. Add 1 tsp (5 mL) butter or olive oil, andsalt and hot sauce to taste; spoon on top of grits.
Parmesan Grits with Marinara Sauce: Omit the bacon and replace the Cheddar cheese with an equal amount of grated Parmesan cheese. After seasoning grits, spoon 2 tbsp (30 mL) prepared marinara sauce over grits. Microwave on High for 25 to 30 seconds or until warmed through. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan, if desired. In the mug. combine grits, milk and water; cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Print this recipe
Source: 250 Best Meals in a Mug: Delicious Homemade Microwave Meals in Minutes by Camilla Saulsbury
Submitted By: b smith
Bacon Cheddar Grits