We don't need no stinking yogurt, especially when there's soygurt! And with that, we can create the creamy Indian classic that is tikka masala. If you're looking for a meatier rendition, sub out the tofu with a vegan meat product.
- 1 cup vegan unsweetened soygurt
- 3 teaspoons tikka masala spice blend
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 16-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. In a large bowl, whisk the soygurt, tikka masala, ginger, garlic, and salt.
2. Cut tofu and eggplant into 1-inch dices. Add to the soygurt marinade and let sit at least 1 hour.
3. In a large saute pan over medium heat, saute onion in olive oil until translucent. Add tomatoes to the pan and cook until they begin to break down, about 4 minutes.
4. Add the marinated tofu and eggplant to the saute pan with marinade. Cook until eggplant is tender, being careful not to break up tofu too much, about 10 minutes.
5. Stir in peas and heat through. Taste to see if it needs more tikka masala spice. Add 1 teaspoon at a time to desired heat. Remove from heat.
6. Stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
Print this recipe
Source: Vegan Junk Food: 225 Sinful Snacks that are Good for the Soul by Lane Gold
Submitted By: b smith
Tofu Eggplant Tikka Masala