I have cooked this dish — a family recipe — for more than 40 years. It is excellent as a side dish to chicken, fish and pork entrees.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans, fresh or frozen, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (unpeeled if thin-skinned)
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1. In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over high heat until a couple of mustard seeds thrown in start to sputter. Add remaining mustard seeds and cover quickly.
2. When seeds stop popping in a few seconds, uncover and reduce heat to medium. Add green beans and potatoes.
3. Sprinkle mixture with coriander, turmeric, cayenne and salt. Mix well. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp water. Reduce heat to low (see Tip, left). Cover and cook, stirring once to prevent sticking, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Print this recipe
Source: Easy Indian Cooking by Suneeta Vaswani
Submitted By: b smith
Green Beans with Mustard Seeds