Remember Shake 'n Bake chicken? Here's the vegan version. Bonus: You can drown your deep-fried seitan in a decadent, artery-clogging gravy. Yum!
- 2 cups soymilk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 8-ounce package seitan strips
- For Gravy:
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup vegan chicken broth
- 1 cup soy creamer or nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
1. In a medium bowl, mix milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit 5 minutes.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 inches of oil to 375°F or until bubbles appear around a chopstick when placed in oil.
3. In a 1-gallon plastic zippered storage bag, add flour, salt, and pepper.
4. Dip each seitan piece into milk mixture, then place in flour bag and shake to coat.
5. Fry each piece about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
6. Drain on paper towels.
1. In a medium saute pan over medium heat, melt the margarine; when bubbly, whisk in flour and stir, cooking for 1 minute. Slowly add the chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly until gravy is thick. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Serve hot over Chicken-Fried Seitan.
Print this recipe
Source: Vegan Junk Food: 225 Sinful Snacks that are Good for the Soul by Lane Gold
Submitted By: B Smith
Chicken-Fried Seitan and Gravy