Packed with earthy rosemary flavor, a nice hit of spice, and just the right amount of sauce this chicken dish makes for a great weeknight meal.
- 1 3-pound (1.36 kg) chicken, cut into 4 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce (793 g) can whole plum
- tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 sprigs rosemary
1. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in an 8-quart heavy-duty pan or Dutch oven over medium heat, until shimmering. Add the chicken pieces skin-side down and sear until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip over and brown on the other side, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
2. Raise the heat to high and then pour in the wine and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping any browned bits stuck to bottom of pan. Reduce the wine by half. Add the pepper flakes, tomatoes, and rosemary, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer gently until the chicken is fork-tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
Print this recipe
Source: The Southern Italian Farmer's Table: Authentic Recipes and Local Lore from Tuscany to Sicily by Matthew Scialabba & Melissa Pellegrino
Submitted By: b smith
Spicy Calabrian Chicken