The astonishing flavors of this simple dish will amaze you. Use the freshest ginger you can find, because the juice will greatly enhance the taste. A "dry" dish, this recipe is best served with a traditional Indian bread accompanied by raita or plain yogurt
- 12 skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup julienne peeled gingerroot
- 6 to 8 green chiles, julienned
- Lemon or lime slices, for garnish
- 1 sprig cilantro, for garnish
1. Rinse chicken and pat dry.
2. In a large bowl, combine lime juice, pepper, mustard powder and salt. Add chicken and mix well. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute ginger and chile until almost crisp, about 2 minutes.
4. Add chicken with marinade. Reduce heat to medium and brown for 4 to 5 minutes per side. Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) water and cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 30 minutes. Shake skillet periodically to prevent sticking, adding 1 or 2 tbsp water if necessary. Garnish with lime slices and cilantro.
Print this recipe
Source: Easy Indian Cooking by Suneeta Vaswani
Submitted By: b smith
Ginger Chili Chicken