Anthony, the cook at our beach house outside Mumbai, would often go down to the ocean to meet the fishing boats as they came in. He invented this simple dish using just-caught shrimp, and it quickly became popular with friends and family.
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 Cup lime juice, divided
- 2 1/4 tsp turmeric, divided
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Cup cilantro leaves, divided
1. Mash garlic and salt to a paste with a mortar and pestle and rub into shrimp. Set aside for 15 minutes.
2. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 8 cups (2 L) water, bay leaf, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the lime juice and 2 tsp (10 mL) of the turmeric. Bring to a boil. When water is boiling, stir in shrimp and cook just until opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain and transfer shrimp to a bowl.
3. Stir together remaining turmeric, cayenne pepper and remaining lime juice. Pour over warm shrimp. Toss until well combined.
4. Chop half of the cilantro leaves and add to cooled shrimp. Add remaining whole leaves and toss. Adjust seasonings and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
Print this recipe
Source: Easy Indian Cooking by Suneeta Vaswani
Submitted By: b smith
Golden Shrimp with Cilantro and Lime