The wicked combination of garlic, tomatoes and vodka makes for a punchy cocktail or "hair-of-the-dog" concoction. Perhaps not the healthiest way to consume your daily dose of garlic, but definitely a fun means of testing the wonder herb's reputation as a hangover cure. Alternatively, omit the vodka and drink your Garlic Virgin Mary guilt-free. Without vodka it's still a great way to increase your raw garlic intake. Prepare ahead and refrigerate overnight to get the best flavors.
- 750 ml (3 cups) tomato juice
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lime
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) freshly grated horseradish
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Tabasco
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- premium vodka
- 4 celery sticks
1. Place all the ingredients, apart from the seasoning and vodka, in a blender and combine well. Season to taste then refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.The flavor improves the longer you leave it, so try to leave for at least 1 hour or overnight, if possible. This virgin mixture will keep in the fridge for a week so.
2. Put a few ice cubes in each glass, pour in an ounce (or two) of vodka, then top with the Garlic Bloody Mary mixture. Alternatively, pour the virgin mixture without the alcohol, either straight or on the rocks.
Serve with a stick of celery in each glass.
Print this recipe