- 1 1/2 cups uncooked medium-grain rice, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons canoia or peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon chana dal (split chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoon peanuts (raw or toasted)
- 2 dried red chiles, each broken in two
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon Juice
Rinse the rice well in several changes of water. Place the rinsed rice and the 3 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low, cover, and cook until the rice is done?about 10 minutes. Then transfer the rice to a large platter, gently spreading it out with a fork to let cool completely.
Heat the oil in a small skillet or butter warmer over high heat. When the oil just begins to smoke, add the mustard seeds and cover. When the seeds stop popping, add the dal, peanuts, chiles, and curry leaves. Stir until the dal and peanuts are lightly browned.
Remove from the heat and stir in the turmeric until it completely dissolves. Pour the hot dressing over the cooled rice. Then sprinkle the lemon juice and salt over the rice. Using a flat spatula, gently toss the rice until every grain turns yellow.
Taste and adjust the lemon juice?the rice should taste slightly tart. Serve at room temperature.
You can make this recipe with leftover rice; you'll need 6 cups of cooked rice.
Print this recipe