Ever wonder what was in that orange sauce that bathes the tofu from Mr. Chang's Dynasty? Mystery solved.
- 1 cup water
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 dove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 16-ounce package firm tofu, drained, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Oil for frying
- 2 green onions, chopped on the diagonal
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 1 cup water, orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and Vi cup water. Add to the saucepan. Bring back to a boil, then turn heat down to medium-low; cook until sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In a shallow dish, stir together flour, salt, and pepper, then add tofu and stir to coat all pieces in flour mixture.
4. In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add about 2 tablespoons of oil. Cook the tofu in batches, frying until golden and very crispy on each side. Drain on paper towels.
5. Add tofu to sauce and stir in green onions. Serve immediately.
Print this recipe