Try these for a change of pace from the usual red bean burrito. In these wholesome and satisfying burritos, black beans share the spotlight with four flavors of green: chiles, salsa verde, cilantro, and avocado. You can use store-bought salsa verde, or make Tomatillo-Cilantro Salsa. For extra flavor and texture, add any or all of the following to your burritos before rolling them up: chopped ripe tomato, vegan sour cream, sliced black olives, or minced scallions.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chiles, hot or mild
- 1 1/2 cups home-cooked black beans, or 1 (15-ounce) can, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup green salsa (salsa verde), store-bought or homemade
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- Chopped tomato
Halve and pit the avocado, spoon out the flesh, and cut into thin strips. Set aside. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add the chiles, beans, chili powder, and 1/2 cup of the salsa, stirring to combine and heat through. Use the back of a fork to mash some of the beans as they cook. Stir in the cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve, spoon one-quarter of the mixture down the center of a tortilla, top with a few strips of the reserved avocado, chopped tomato, and a spoonful of the remaining salsa. Roll up into a burrito, tucking in the sides as you roll. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.
Print this recipe