Shredded papaya shares the stage with tofu in this refreshing and spicy salad. The papaya salads served in Thai restaurants often contain shrimp and are seasoned with fish sauce. Now you can enjoy this salad at home.
- 1 tablespoon neutral vegetable oil
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons mango or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large green papaya, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 carrot, grated or shredded
- 6 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup crushed peanuts
Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook until golden brown all over, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce and cook, stirring to coat. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a bowl, combine the sesame oil, onion, mango juice, vinegar, the remaining Vi tablespoon soy sauce, the ginger, red pepper flakes, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to mix well. Add the papaya and toss gently to combine.
To assemble, arrange the shredded lettuce on a platter or individual salad plates. Use a pair of tongs to top with the papaya, letting any excess dressing drain back into the bowl. Top the papaya with the reserved tofu and sprinkle with the grated carrot. Garnish with the tomatoes and drizzle with any remaining dressing. Sprinkle with the peanuts and serve immediately.
Print this recipe
Source: Quick-Fix Vegan
Submitted By: b smith
Green Papaya and Tofu Salad