For any outdoor grilling event, make this "required" appetizer with local ripe organic tomatoes whenever possible.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chopped vine-ripe tomatoes (about 2 to 3 medium tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion or shallots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 loaf rustic artisanal bread
Freshly ground black pepper
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or preheat a gas grill to medium high.
In a medium bowl, toss together 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the tomatoes, basil, onion, garlic, and salt and set aside.
If using a large "fat" loaf of bread, cut six 1/2-inch-thick slices with a serrated knife, then halve each piece crosswise, to make 12 pieces. If using a baguette-style loaf, cut twelve 1/2-inch-thick slices from the loaf. Reserve the remaining bread for another purpose.
Brush both sides of the bread slices with the remaining olive oil, and grill on each side until lightly marked or toasted. Arrange on a platter and immediately top with the reserved tomato mixture. Garnish with pepper.
Print this recipe