- 8 ripe plum tomatoes or 1-16oz. can tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pinch ground red pepper
- 1 T. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
- 2 C. skim or 1% low-fat milk
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. In large pot of boiling water, blanch the ripe tomatoes for 10 seconds. Transfer to colander; cool slightly. Peel off skin. Cut tomatoes in half; remove seed and pulp.
2. In medium saucepan, cook onion in olive oil about 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Add garlic & cook 1 minute longer. Add chopped tomatoes. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes, over medium heat. (If using canned tomatoes, decrease cooking time 10 minutes.)
3. Spoon 3/4 of mixure into food processor or blender container & puree until smooth.
4. Return tomatoes to saucepan. Add red pepper, basil & milk to soup. Heat until hot but do not boil. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
5. Divide the soup into two warm bowls and serve immediately. Garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired.
Print this recipe
Source: WD Low Fat Meals
Submitted By: Jan
Tomato Basil Soup