If pita bread without the pocket, the kind they use in restaurants, is available, shape the patties in kind of a cigar shape. Lightly grill the pita and wrap everything in the pita.
- It is almost impossible to duplicate the compactness
- of the commercial gyro loaf. This is close in flavor,
- but not texture.
- 3/4 lb. lean ground beef
- 3/4 lb. lean ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced ripe tomatoes
- 4 large pita rounds, cut in half.
For patties; Preheat broiler or prepare charcoal or gas grill. Combine ingredients lightly, but thoroughly in a large bowl.Shape into 8 thin patties. Broil, or grill, turning once, until meat is done as desired. Meanwhile, wrap grated cucumber in cheesecloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Combine sauce ingredients. To assemble, put once cooked patty in each pita half, add a generous amount of sauce and tomato slices.
Print this recipe
Source: Family Cookbook
Submitted By: Joy Bowers