Note: The fried green tomatoes also make a good side dish with chicken or pork, and with eggs and sausage for breakfast.
- 1 pkg.(8 oz)sliced bacon
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 lb. green tomatoes(3 medium), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise dressing
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 4 green-leaf lettuce leaves
- 8 slices firm whole-grain or white bread, toasted
1. In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until browned. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain.
2. Meanwhile, in pie plate, beat egg white and salt. In another pie plate or on waxed paper, combine corn meal and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Dip tomato slices in egg-white mixture to coat both sides well. Place coated pieces on waxed paper.
3. In drippings in skillet, cook tomato slices, a few at a time, over medium-high heat until golden on both sides and heated through, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
4. In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, chives, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
5. Spread mayonnaise-dressing mixture on 1 side of toast slices. Arrange lettuce, tomatoes, then bacon on 4 toast slices; top with remaining toast slices, dressing-side down.
Print this recipe
Source: Good Housekeeping/Sept. '96
Submitted By: Linda Wilson
Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches