- 10 eggs, separated
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup finely crushed zwieback
- 3/4 cup finely chopped blanched almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground orange rind
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- powdered sugar (for topping)
Beat egg yolks with electric beater until thick, gradually adding the sugar. Combine the zwieback, almonds, baking powder, cream of tartar, and orange rind, and add, mixing thoroughly.
Add the brandy and vanilla and blend well. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture. Pour into a very lightly greased 8-inch tube pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool before removing from pan, then sprinkle powdered sugar over it. Keeps well at room temperature if tightly covered.
Print this recipe
Source: Adventures In Greek Cookery
Submitted By: Linda Wilson
Ravani I (Sponge Almond Cake)