- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup nuts (hazlenuts, almonds, pistachios, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 325. Lightly spray or wipe a large baking sheet with vegetable oil (I use PAM).
2. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, combine the eggs, egg whites, and vanilla. Mix unti well combined. Add the sugar, flour, soda and salt; beat until a dough forms. Stir in the nuts.
3. Turn the sticky dough (real sticky) onto a lightly floured board. With clean floured hands, and with the aid of a spatula or pastry scraper, knead the dough several times. Divide the dough in half.
4. With floured hands form the dough into two flatish logs, about 15 inches long and 2 inches wide. Place the logs on the baking sheet, 3 inches apart. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove and cool for 10 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat to 275.
6. On a cutting board, cut the logs diagonally into 3/4 inch thick slices. Arrange the slices on the baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Turn and bake for another 10-12 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the biscotti to crisp in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. Makes 45 cookies
ANISE Use 2/3 cup whole almonds, 1 Tbsp. anise seed and 2 Tbsp. Sambuca (I didn't use the Sambuca and it tasted great) These are really crisp and are perfect for dunking.
Print this recipe
Source: Great Good Food by Julee Rosso
Submitted By: Roxanne Abrams
Biscotti with Nuts