This is a fail proof and healthy way to make a coconut cream pie. You won't scorch the filling because you make it in the microwave. I make it all the time and just eat it like a vanilla pudding or a coconut pudding. If you want the pie topped with meringue, be prepared to work quickly to make the meringue with an electric mixer, preferably a Kitchen Aid. If you are satisfied to have a bit of toasted coconut on top of the pie, toast about a half cup of shredded coconut on a large jelly roll pan or cookie sheet under a broiler. Set it aside to be used after the pie is assembled. If you choose not to use the egg whites in the meringue, the egg whites can be frozen and used later to make coconut macaroon cookies. To make meringue, use 5 egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar. Beat till foamy. Add 10 tablespoons sugar gradually and while beating until stiff and glossy. Add 3/4 teaspoon vanilla. Seal uncooked meringue to edges of crust after placing meringue on filling. Bake merigue topped pie at 400 degrees about 10 minutes. Top with toasted coconut after baking. Cool away from draft.
- Bake a prepared pie shell such as Marie Calendar brand which comes in a nice solid aluminum pan in the frozen food department. Prick the shell before baking.
- Ingredients for the Coconut Cream Pie Filling:
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 6 Tablespoons cornstarch such as Argo brand
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Lite salt such as Morton's brand
- 4 cups two percent fat cow's milk or reconstituted nonfat dry milk such as Carnation
- 5 egg yolks. (Reserve the whites for meringue.)
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter such as Land o Lakes
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract - not artificial
- 1 cup flaked coconut such as Baker's brand
- 1/2 cup additional coconut to toast under broiler
- Note: If you do not have unsalted butter, reduce the amount of salt in the recipe to only 1 teaspoon. Unsalted butter is higher quality and tastes better.
You will be making the filling in the microwave. It is much easier than stove top. Pour the milk into a large glass mixing bowl. Begin warming the milk in the microwave for about 2 minutes on high. Beat the 5 egg yolks. Gradually add the egg yolks to the warm (not hot) milk. Stir together the sugar, cornstarch and Lite salt in a small mixing bowl. Use a wire wisk or two large forks. Gradually add the cornstarch and sugar mixture to the warm milk and eggs. Whisk it well. Return the large bowl to the microwave. Cook mixture on high for about 2 minutes. Whisk. Mixture will thicken first on the sides of the bowl. Whisk well. Return and cook on high power for 1 minute. Whisk. Keep cooking and checking at 1 minute intervals until the filling thickens. It will thicken all at once. Cook for one additional minute after filling appears to be thick. Whisk. Add the butter and vanilla. Whisk. Sprinkle in 1 cup flaked coconut. Don't let the coconut be in clumps. Pour the hot filling onto the cooked pie crust. Cover the top of the hot filling with plastic wrap. When slightly cool, top the pie with about 1/2 cup toasted coconut. To toast coconut, spread a thin layer onto a cookie sheet. Brown it under a broiler with oven door open. Watch carefully and remove as soon as coconut begins to brown. Top the filling with the toasted coconut, or make meringue and bake the meringue topped pie for 10 minutes.
Print this recipe
Source: Cyndy Shreffler of Troy, Ohio
Submitted By: Cyndy Shreffler
Coconut Cream Pie from scratch