This an adapted reciepe that I got from a buddy from Greece. I don't usually use as much mint, maybe just a tablespoon, and to hold the concoctation together better, I do layers of fillo and filling, at least two. I depends on how samll you want to cut the pieces.
- 2 pkgs frozen, chopped spinach: Thaw.Squish out as much water as possible. Or use 24 oz. fresh spinach, stems removed, steamed, cooled and finely chopped, sufficiently drained
- 8 oz. cream cheese, (I use neufchatel) room temp
- 1 lb ricotta, (fat free works great)
- 5 oz feta cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 C chopped mint leaves, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 C finely crushed pine nuts or to taste
- 1 package of fillo dough sheets (freezer section)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Butter or oil 9x13 baking pan - stoneware gives the bottom layer a better crust.
Combine above ingredients. Begin with the cream cheese, add eggs, then ricotta followed by feta,salt, spinach and mint & pine nuts.
Seperate one layer of fillo, brush one side entirely with melted melted butter.Place in baking dish, butter side up. Repeat with 6-8 sheets.
Spread filling evenly.
Repeat fillo layering technique to cover the top.
Bake @ 375 for 5-10 minutes, reduce to 350 for 45 additional minutes.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Marie Atkins