This recipe comes from the Best Recipe cookbook by Cooks Illustrated. It is consistent when you follow the tedious directions. The cake is dense but moist and flavorful.
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 c Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 c Sugar
- 2 1/4 c Cake Flour (- 1T per cup if All Purpose)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 sticks (1/2 lb) Butter, softened & each stick cut in 8 pieces
Oven 350, Grease flour and line 2 9" pans
1) Combine milk eggs and vanilla, set aside 1 cup.
2) Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. With mixer at lowest speed, add butter one piece at a time; mix until butter and flour begin to clump together and look sandy and pebbly, with pieces the size of peas- 30 to 40 seconds after all butter is added. (Note: If using a hand mixer, cut butter into dry ingredients with a pastry blender)
3) Add reserved 1 c of wet ingredients at lowest speed until just incorporated. At med-high speed beat until light and fluffy, about 1 min. Add the rest of the wet ingredients in a slow steady stream. Scrape bowl and beat on med-high until batter looks slightly curdled, 15 seconds.
4) Divide among pans, Bake 20-25 mins. Cool in pan 10 mins before removing.
Print this recipe