This is the best macaroni and cheese receipe ever.
- 8 T. unsalted butter
- 6 slices good white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4-1/2 in. pieces
- 5 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. flour
- 2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/4 t. peppper
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 18 oz. grated extra sharp cheddar
- 5 oz. grated pecorino romano or 8 oz. grated gruyere
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
1. Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 3 quart casserold dish, set aside. Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, mlet 2 t. butter. Pour melted butter into bowl with bread & toss. Set aside.
2. Warm milk in a saucepan over medium heat. melt remaining butter n a high sided skilled over med. heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring 1 min.
3. While whisking, add hot milk a little at a time to keep mixture smooth. continue cooking, whisking constantly until mixture bubbles and thinckens, 8 - 12 min.
4. Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, peppers, 3 c. cheddar, 1 1/2 c. gruyere or 1 c. pecorino romano. Set cheese sauce aside.
5. Cook macaroni as per package directions for al dente or underdone. Transfer to a colander, rinsue under cold running water and drain well. Stir the macaroni into cheese sauce.
6. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Spring with remaining cheese and bread crumbs. Bake until golden brown 30 min.
7. Let cool 5 min. before serving. Serves 12!
Print this recipe
Source: Martha Stewart's Living Magazine
Submitted By: Cindy Clark
macaroni & cheese 101