Mashed potatoes have always been associated with meatloaf as a natural accompaniment. Additional ingredients can be added for variety - see the variations.
- 4 medium russet potatoes (about 21/2 pounds), peeled and quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
In a large saucepan over high heat, combine the potatoes with water to cover and bring to a boil. Add 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well. Return the potatoes to the warm pan, add 1/2 cup of the half-and-half, and beat with an electric mixer or potato masher until smooth. Use additional half-andhalf or milk if needed for desired consistency. Cut 2 tablespoons of the butter into small pieces and beat into the potatoes. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper and fluff with a fork. Transfer to a warmed bowl, dot the remaining butter on top, and serve immediately.
Print this recipe