Shredded zucchini lends a pretty green touch, but any summer squash can be used.
- 1/2 cup dark and/or golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated zucchini or other summer squash
- Rum Glaze
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- About 2 tablespoons rum or 2 tablespoons milk plus 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease the bottom of 9 x 5 x 3-inch glass loaf pan. Line the bottom with wax paper.
To make the cake: Combine the raisins and rum in a bowl. Let stand, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside. Beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in the large bowl of an electric mixer until well mixed. Add the egg and beat unti creamy. Stir in the zucchini and the raisin and rum mixture. (The mixture may look curdled.) Gradually add the flour mixture and beat on low speed. Spoon the batter into the pan.
Bake for 60 to 65 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a rack. Unmold and remove the wax paper. Cool completely.
To make the glaze: Combine the confectioners' sugar and rum. Beat until smooth. Stir in a little warm water until a drizzling consistency is reached. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake. Let stand until the glaze hardens.
Cut into 3/4-inch slices to serve.
Print this recipe