this is a Malaysian recipe adapted from the Indian Moulee which originates from Kerala South India.
- 1 lb chicken thigh fillets
- For mouli sauce:
- 1/3 c. oil
- 2 Spanish onions:1 sliced across then thinly in half rings, the other puréed
- 1 1/2” ginger shredded coarsley
- 2 stalks lemon grass puréed
- 1” galangal puréed
- 6 almonds puréed
- 1/4” turmeric pounded, or 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 2 c. coconut cream
- 2 T vinegar
- 1 T sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 t. plain flour for thickening.
- Sliced green chilli slit seeded and added to curry
- Season with salt and lime juice
Brush chicken fillets with oil then sauté in saucepan or wok with another tablespoon oil until fillets are lightly browned. In wok heat oil and fry puréed onions and sliced onions with ginger shreds. Add puréed galangal, lemon grass and turmeric and fry until aromatic. Add coconut cream and cook on low until oil separates. Add vinegar, sugar and salt then flour mixed with 1/4 cup warm water. Add chicken pieces and allow gravy to reduce. Season, garnish with chopped red and green chillis with side salad or sliced limes and Kiwi fruit which helps to cut the rich cream in the sauce. Serve with steamed rice or roti.
Print this recipe