This is a great summer side dish especially for cookouts. It is simple to make and you'll look an artist.
- 1 lb. tricolor Fussilli spiral pasta or tortellini
- 1 large red onion diced
- 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 green bell pepper, seed, remove ribs and dice, 1/2 each may be plenty, but if you're not going to use the remainder and throw it out, don't, use it all
- 1 large can of pitted black olives, drained and sliced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 cloves of chopped fresh garlic
- A handful of freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for serving
- The top 3-4 inches of a bunch of celery (including leaves) chopped
- A large bottle Italian salad dressing if you're to lazy to make what's listed below
- ALL INGREDIENTS ARE TO TASTE
- SOME GOOD EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- A SPLASH OF BALSAMIC VINEGAR
- RED WINE VINEGAR
- A SPLASH OF WATER
- A PINCH OF FRESH MINCED OREGANO
- A SMALL HANDFUL OF CHOPPED FRESH FLAT LEAF PARSLEY AND FRESH BASIL.
- 1-2 CLOVES OF MINCED FRESH GARLIC
- ANY OTHER ITALIAN SEASONINGS THAT YOU LIKE; ROSEMARY, SAGE, ETC. IF FRESH, MINCE
- A SMALL HANDFUL OF FRESHLY GRATED PECORINO ROMANO OR PARMIGIANO-REGGIANO CHEESE
- KOSHER SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
Bring a large pot of water to a boil then add salt to taste. Add pasta and cook until very al dente (in Italian, this means "to the tooth", still quite hard); DO NOT over cook. Stir as soon as you drop the pasta so they won't stick. If using fresh of frozen pasta, it is pretty much done when it comes to the surface. The only exception is with filled pasta which may take a little more cooking. Strain and splash with cold water to retard cooking any further and rinse a little of the starch off but do not rinse thoroughly then set aside to cool or refrigerate. When cool, add all remaining ingredients, toss with dressing and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
MIX ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER WELL AND REFRIGERATE FOR 1 HOUR BEFORE USING. IF YOU LIKE IT ON THE CREAMY SIDE, PLACE ALL INGREDIENTS, EXCEPT THE OIL, IN A FOOD PROCESSOR, ADD A LITTLE CREAM AND BLEND UNTIL SMOOTH. WITH PROCESSOR STILL RUNNING, DRIZZLE IN THE OLIVE OIL SLOWLY.
Print this recipe
Source: SOUTH SIDE SOCIAL CLUB COOKBOOK
Submitted By: VINCENZO PAOLINO
PASTA SALAD ITALIAN STYLE