- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained, with liquid reserved
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 scallions, green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated smoked Cheddar or other smoked cheese
- Chopped chives for serving
- Crackers for serving
Place the beans, bell pepper, onion, scallions, vinegar, cilantro, chipotle chile, cumin, chili powder, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until the mixture becomes a smooth paste. Add some of the bean liquid if necessary to get the proper consistency.
Transfer the bean mixture to a medium mixing bowl and stir in the cheese.
Transfer to a sealable container and refrigerate until ready to pack.
Let the dip come to room temperature, then garnish with the chopped chives and serve with crackers.
Print this recipe