Like a popover, this giant vanilla-scented pancake magically puffs up into a light yet satisfying breakfast or brunch main course. Serve this pancake with grilled assorted sausages and big cups of cappuccino.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped orange zest
- 1 small pippin, Granny Smith, or Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped (about 1 cup) 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Combine the milk, flour, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and orange zest in a food processor fitted with the metal blade, a blender, or a bowl and process or whisk until smooth. Add the apple pieces and stir to combine.
2. Place the butter in a 10-inch pie pan or ovenproof skillet and put it in the oven to melt. Brush the inside of the pan to coat it evenly with the butter.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 15 minutes longer, or until the pancake is nicely browned, cooked in the center, and well puffed. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the powdered sugar generously on top. Serve immediately.
Print this recipe
Source: The New California Cook
Submitted By: b smith
Puffed Apple-Orange Oven Pancake