Famed Hawaiian chef Alan Wong is renowned for his intriguing twists on traditional recipes. He serves this simple but uniquely flavored guacamole with taro chips. If you can't find them, substitute shrimp chips or blue or yellow tortilla chips for a great beginning to an informal Asian-inspired dinner. If available, use Hass avocados, which have a fuller flavor than other types.
- 2 medium very ripe avocados pitted peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small tomato, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallion white and light green parts only
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Taro chips, shrimp chips, tortilla chips, carrot and celery sticks, and/or endive leaves for serving
1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and stir. Taste for seasoning.
2. Transfer the guacamole to a serving bowl and serve with the chips and/or vegetables.
Print this recipe