Any fresh or canned tropical fruit maybe added to the pudding. Cut the fruit into bite-sized pieces before stirring into the tapioca.
- 1/2 cup small tapioca pearls
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup coconut cream scooped from the top of chilled Fresh Coconut Milk or unshaken high quality commercial coconut milk
- 1 cup cut-up assorted fresh or canned fruits such as young coconut, jackfruit, longan, lychee, mango, mangosteen, palm seed, papaya, and rambutan
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Pesticide-free nontoxic small orchids for garnish (optional)
Place the tapioca in a fine-mesh strainer and quickly rinse under cold running water. Drain well, then transfer to a saucepan. Add 1 1/2 cups water, the sugar, and salt and stir well. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat so that the tapioca barely simmers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tapioca turns translucent and is tender when tasted, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Stir the coconut cream into the warm pudding and set aside to cool to room temperature, or cover tightly and refrigerate until chilled.
To serve, stir the fruits into the pudding, then spoon into 4 individual dishes and garnish with mint and/or flowers (if using).
Print this recipe