This ginger-spiked version of haroset makes use of dried cherries, which have recently become widely available. As a family project, this recipe, with its dicing and grating and slicing, gives everyone something to do. Its rich fruit flavors have their roots in Sephardic traditions.
- 1 1/2 cup dried pitted cherries
- 1 1/2 cup diced dried pears
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 fresh pears, peeled, cored, and cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lernon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 cup kosher-for passover sweet red wine
Process ingredients in a food processor until a rough paste is formed. Taste and adjust sugar if necessary. Spread on matzo or use as a relish.
Makes about 2 cups
Print this recipe