Cook's Note: Although the -original- recipe calls for the water-packed artichokes, I find that the marinated artichokes make a tangy spread.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (NOT salad dressing)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) artichoke hearts,
- water-packed, drained (*See ?Cook?s Note? at bottom.)
- 1 or 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (NOT the stuff in the green can!!!)
Preheat oven to 350?F.
Lightly coat a 1 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick vegetable spray. Set aside.
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Blend just until the mixture is smooth.
(You may have to divide the ingredients and do the blending in two batches. If done in two batches, pour both batches of mixture into a bowl and mix well before putting it in the baking dish. Also, if using a blender instead of a food processor, stop the machine frequently and scrape down the sides of the container with a rubber spatula, after the blades have stopped completely.)
Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Serve with cocktail rye, French or sourdough bread sliced thin.
NOTE: You can also bake this spread in several small baking dishes. When cool, cover each with plastic wrap and freeze for later use. When ready to use, thaw, then remove plastic wrap, and reheat in the oven or microwave.
Print this recipe
Source: personal collection
Submitted By: Betty Manoulian
Hot Atrichoke Spread