- posted by s'kat
- 6-12 servings
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed citrus juice "(I use grapefruit, but lemon works like a charm)"
- kalamata olives, chopped,to taste
1. Boil potatoes in salted water to cover, until tender.
2. While potatoes cook, mix the flours, cumin, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of oil, then water.
4. Mix until this becomes a defined (albeit sticky) ball of dough.
5. Remove and knead until smooth, adding flour or water as necessary.
6. Cover dough with plastic wrap and set aside while preparing potatoes.
7. When potatoes are finished (tender), remove, drain and mash them with cayenne, salt, pepper, citrus juice, olives and 1 tablespoon of oil.
8. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
9. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into 12-inch long snake and cut into 12 pieces.
10. Roll each piece into about 4-inch round.
11. Spoon 1-2 tablespoon of potato mixture into round, then fold over edges to enclose completely.
12. Pinch dough closed and press down to distribute filling evenly.
13. Heat a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes.
14. Add another tablespoon of oil to skillet, then pour out (you just want a thin film of oil on pan).
15. Cook each bread for about 3 minutes per side, until brown spots appear.
16. Repeat until all are done.
17. Serve hot or room temperature.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Meryl
Aloo Paratha (Indian Potato-Stuffed Flatbreads)