- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 pound shredded smoked cheddar cheese,
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Ground nutmeg to taste
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Brush 1 tablespoon of the oil over the bottom and sides of a 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.
2. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute' until quite soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. To make the gratin, alternate layers of the onion, sweet potatoes and cheese. Sprinkle each layer with some salt, pepper and nutmeg. Be sure the top layer will be cheese, but set the final layer of cheese aside, to add later. Pour the cider over the whole gratin.
4. Bake covered until the potatoes feel nearly tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, 1/2 to 1 hour. Then, uncover and bake for another 1/2 hour. During the final 15 minutes of baking, add the last layer of cheese and bake until cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Teresa Johnson
Sweet Potato, Cheddar And Cider Gratin