- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup cold coffee
- 3/4 cup Kahlua liqueur
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. confectioners sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tbsp. Kahlua liqueur
- 2-3 tbsp. hot coffee
- chocolate (for shaving; optional)
1. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (325 F for dark pans).
3. Beat egg whites until frothy; then add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.
4. Cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy; add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
5. Sift flour, cocoa, and baking powder together in a separate bowl; add to creamed mixture alternatively with coffee and Kahlua, blending well.
6. Fold egg whites into batter.
7. Pour batter into prepared pans.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until done; cool 10 minutes; invert on wire rack; remove pans.
9. Cool completely before frosting.
10. To prepare frosting, cream butter and confectioners sugar in a large bowl.
11. Add cocoa, Kahlua, and coffee, beating until smooth.
12. Spread frosting on cake; garnish cake with shaved chocolate, if desired.
Makes: 10-12 servings
Print this recipe
Source: Posted by Sue L. - Recipezaar
Submitted By: Meryl
Chocolate Kahlua Cake