- Here's a main dish recipe for mussels. Decrease amounts accordingly to serve as an appetizer for two.
- 4 lbs ( 2 kg) mussels (I used 3 lbs)
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL) butter (I used 2 tbsp)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ( 50 to 125 mL) finely chopped shallots (I used 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup ( 250 mL) dry white wine
- generous pinches of saffron threads or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (1 to 2 mL) ground saffron
1. Scrub mussels under cool running water and remove any beards. Discard mussels that won't close when gently tapped.
2. Heat butter in a large wide saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and sauti for 5 minutes. Add wine and saffron. Boil gently, uncovered and stirring often, for 5 minutes.
3. Add mussels to pan, cover and boil gently, stirring occasionally until mussels open, about 5 to 6 minutes. Discard any mussels that have not opened.
Makes 2 main-course servings
Print this recipe
Source: Source: Chatelaine
Submitted By: Meryl