- 4 lb chicken quartered
- 3 qt cold water
- 6 lg carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 lg celery stalks w/leaves, sliced
- 3 sm parsnips, peeled, sliced
- 1 lg onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 lg parsley sprigs
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/2 lb med. egg noodles (Goodman's Egg Flakes work great)
- 2 Tbsp. minced parsley
1. In a stockpot, bring chicken and the water to a boil, skimming foam. Add all but 2 cups of carrots, and celery, parsnips, onion, parsley sprigs, 2 tsp. of the salt and the pepper. Simmer, partially covered, until chicken is cooked, about 1 hour. Remove chicken to a plate. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones, discard. Shred meat, set aside.
2. Strain broth through cheesecloth-lined sieve into clean pot(5qt). Press solids to extract liquid. Add remaining carrots and salt. Simmer covered, 5 minutes. Add noodles, simmer covered, 7 minutes or until carrots are tender and noodles are cooked. Add chicken and minced parsley. Heat through.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Meryl
CLASSIC CHICKEN SOUP