- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 10-ounce package of frozen spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup small-curd cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Dash of nutmeg
Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
1. Cook and drain the noodles according to the package directions and toss with 2 tablespoons of the butter.
2. Using a small frying pan saute the onion and parsley in the remaining tablespoon butter for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is transparent. Fold into the noodles.
3. Cook the spinach according to the package directions, drain well and fold into the noodles with the sour cream, cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan and Swiss cheeses, salt, pepper, and thyme.
4. Pour into a greased 2-quart baking dish, sprinkle with nutmeg, and bake, covered with aluminum foil, for 45 minutes, in a preheated 350-degree oven. Remove the foil and cook for 15 minutes more or until the top is bubbly and crusty at the edges.
From: Pat Gold (email@example.com)
JEFF'S NOTES: I found the above recipe very good, but too bland for my taste. I made the following changes which added a little extra zip to the taste and texture:
1 cup of finely chopped onion instead of the above
1 medium zucchini - sauteed along with onion
deleted 1 tablespoon margarine for sauteeing; substituted olive oil
1 cup of grated Mozerella cheeze
deleted Swiss cheese
All other ingredients and cooking instructions remain unchanged
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Meryl
SPINACH AND THREE-CHEESE KUGEL