For miniature sandwiches, use party rye bread slices or cut sandwiches into fourths.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 (10-ounce) package shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-ounce) bottle Thousand Island dressing
- 18 rye bread slices
- 12 sandwich size Swiss cheese slices
- 2 pounds corned beef, thinly sliced
- Softened butter or margarine
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a nonstick 5 quart saute pan over medium-high heat; add cabbage, vinegar, and salt, and sauti until tender. Drain, if necessary, and let stand 30 minutes.
Spread dressing evenly over 1 side of each bread slice. Layer 12 bread slices evenly with cheese, cabbage mixture, and corned beef. Stack layered bread to make 6 (2-layer) sandwiches, and top with remaining bread slices.
Spread softened butter over the top of each sandwich.
Wipe pan clean, and cook sandwiches, buttered side down, over medium heat 4 minutes or until golden. Spread butter on ungrilled side of sandwiches; turn carefully, and cook until golden. Serve immediately.
Print this recipe
Source: Southern Living
Submitted By: Marlen
Classic Reuben Sandwich