Optional applications: Use leftover hummus as bread spread in a sandwich or with tabboulleh and grilled or roasted vegetables for a complete vegetarian meal.
- 1/2 cup California walnuts
- 3 Tbsp. walnut oil
- 1 garlic clove quartered
- 1-1/4 oz. can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp. orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 6 6" pita bread, cut into eighths, toasted
) Toast walnuts in 350F oven for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
2) Combine toasted walnuts with oil and garlic and puree in food processor or blender until smooth.
3) Add chickpeas, orange zest, orange juice, salt and pepper and continue to blend to an even, smooth consistency. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
4) Serve hummus in small serving bowl alongside toasted pita bread or with crudites.
Print this recipe
Source: Internet/ALISA DEMARCO, STUDENT, THE CULINARY INSTITUTE OF AMERICA
Submitted By: Marlen
Toasty Walnut Hummus