This is made from the irresistible produce that becomes available in quantity in the garden and markets at the end of the summer - luscious tomatoes, bell peppers in all colors, shiny eggplants, zucchini and herbs. This is delicious cold or hot, and topped with fried eggs. If you can't obtain ripe tomatoes, increase the intensity of the flavor by adding a tablespoon of tomato paste toward the end of cooking. Serve this with anything Provencale. Or make it a main dish and serve with a foccacia or Boboli bread and a leafy green salad.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 1 each green, yellow and red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 tablespoons, minced fresh basil, or 1 tablespoons, dried
- 1 teaspoon each chopped fresh rosemary, oregano, thyme, or 1/2 tsp. each dried
- 1 small bay leaf, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil, add the garlic and the onions, and sauti 5 minutes. One at a time, add the tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and zucchini, and sauti each 2 minutes before adding the next. Stir in the herbs. Turn the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the ratatouille thickens, 30 to 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
Print this recipe
Source: Ashbury's Aubergines
Submitted By: Marlen