Suggested Wine: Enate, "Los Faunos" Tempranillo, Somontano, Spain, 1997, $12.
- 2 large celery roots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or unsalted butter
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 tablespoons Spanish dry sherry
- Whole cream to garnish, if desired
1. In large soup pot over low heat, slowly sweat onions and celery root in olive oil, stirring often, allowing the juices to come forth, about 20-30 minutes. If mixture is dry and sticking to the bottom, add more oil or butter, or a splash of stock.
2. Add stock. Simmer until thoroughly cooked, about 45 minutes. Remove from stove and purie in batches in a blender with most of parsley; season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. To serve, place a tablespoon of sherry in each bowl. Ladle soup into bowl and garnish with a swirl of cream, if desired, and a sprinkle of parsley. Serve immediately.
Print this recipe
Source: Hugh O'Neill, chef/owner of Hugh's New American Bistro, Denver.
Submitted By: Marlen
Celery Root Soup